Monday, February 15, 2016

·product review· D's Naturals No Cow Bars


I first heard of D's Naturals No Cow Bars through Instagram, and I was eager to try them out!  They currently come in four flavors (but look for new ones hitting soon!)  They are incredibly natural and have only the best ingredients.  I decided to try these out as my Quest bars were upsetting my stomach with their corn fiber, whey protein, and sucralose.  

The main sell for me was that they are vegan.  Not only that, but these No Cow Bars are:
All Natural
Non GMO
Vegan
High Fiber and Protein
Gluten Free
Low in Sugar
Dairy, Soy, and Lactose Free
AMAZING MACROS!

Here's what I thought:


Flavor:  This bar was my favorite of the bunch.  I don't think it's a cookie dough bar, though.  I think a more accurate name would be Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip.  The protein bar part has a very prevalent peanut butter flavor, which I love.  The roasted peanuts and cacao nibs throughout the bar add great peanutty and chocolatey flavor.  It's just sweet enough, but not overwhelmingly sweet.  They taste very natural, clean, and delicious.  I loved this one!

Texture:  A wonderfully chewy texture.  Softer than a Quest bar, it's like a protein fudge texture, but way better.  I really liked the contrast in texture that the nibs and peanut pieces added.  

Afterthoughts:  This bar has 170 calories, 20g of protein, 2g net carbs, and 5g fat.  The macros are amazing, and it's a really great sized bar.  Unlike Quest bars, I noticed that I didn't feel it in my stomach afterward, and felt lean and amazing.  They also aren't so saccharine sweet that you're craving more after you finish.  Just perfect!


Flavor:  The mint flavor was really strong.  I got a little bit of chocolate, but mostly mint.  I did like the flavor of the cacao nibs throughout the bar, as it added some much-needed chocolate flavor,  If you're not a huge fan of mint, you probably won't like this bar.  I didn't mind it, as the cacao nibs saved it for me, but I was expecting the flavor of a Thin Mint and didn't get that.


Texture:  Nice and chewy like the other bars, and the cacao nibs offered some contrast.  Texture here was great.



Afterthoughts:  Not bad, but not my favorite of the bunch.  The mint flavor is a little overpowering, but I wouldn't mind eating it again!  Again, I didn't feel bogged down after eating this one, which is great.  This one has 160 calories, 2g net carbs, 5g fat, and 20g protein.



Flavor:  This one was my second favorite.  The blueberry flavor was nice and fruity, and it did have a dessert-y flavor, and not just "fruit".  This one was really great.  I would have loved some kind of extra flavor to add some contrast, like maybe some oats or vegan graham crumbles.  

Texture:  Very nice and chewy, although there were no chunks in this one like the nibs in the other flavor.  I would love some textural contrast to counteract the chewy protein bar component.

Afterthoughts:  I loved this one, and its macros were exceptional.  170 calories, 3g net carbs, 21 protein, and only 2.5g fat!

Flavor:  When I first tried this one, I thought I loved it, but the second time, I wasn't such a fan.  There is a very light raspberry flavor, and the nibs are my favorite part.  However, I got quite bored of the flavor about halfway through and it kind of fell flat for me.  Maybe I got a bad batch?  Anyways, first impression was great, second impression was less great.

Texture:  Nice and chewy as always, and the nibs were great for added texture.  

Afterthoughts:  I really wanted to like this one.  Maybe I would like it more with a dark chocolate touch?  The macros are 160 calories, 4g fat, 21 protein, and 4g net carbs.  

OVERALL

These are my new staple protein bar.  I love love LOVE the peanut butter flavor and like to keep that and the blueberry cobbler stocked up.  I can't wait to see what new flavors they come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment